Facebook

Tulo, hard at work again. He needs a holiday 😆 ...

Zeus was here today giving moral support to his big brother. How did they ever find a shirt that tiny? 🐶 ...

Maddox isn't quite sure about having this satellite dish thing around his head 😆 We think it brings out his eyes! ...

Abby hanging out with our nurses - is she winking at us? 😉 ...

Bibi sure seems to like our sunny yard! 😁 ...

How to be pet poison safe!

image00

 

How to be pet poison safe!

The best way to keep our pets safe from poisonous plants is to simply not have them.  A good alternative is to be sure they are absolutely out of reach!

Here is a list of some poisonous plants to be cautious of:
Lilies – considered to be highly toxic to cats.  If even small amounts are ingested, severe kidney damage could result.
Marijuana – ingestion by a companion animal can result in depression of the central nervous system and incoordination, as well as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate, and even seizures and coma.
Tulip / Narcissus bulbs – the bulb portions contain toxins that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions and cardiac abnormalities.
 

Azalea / Rhododendron – contain substances known as grayantoxins, which can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system in animals.  Severe azalea poisoning could ultimately lead to coma and death from cardiovascular collapse.
Oleander – contain cardiac glycosides that have the potential to cause serious effects – including gastrointestinal tract irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death.
Cyclamen – contain cyclamine, but the highest concentration of this toxic component is typically located in the root portion of the plant.  If ingested, significant gastrointestinal irritation can follow – including intense vomiting, and possible death.
Chrysanthemum – contains pyrethrins that may produce gastrointestinal upset, including drooling, vomiting and diarrhea if eaten.  In some cases depression and loss of coordination may also develop if enough has been consumed.
English Ivy  – also known as branching ivy, glacier ivy, needlepoint ivy, sweetheart ivy and California ivy, contains triterpenoid saponins that, if ingested by pets, can cause vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation and diarrhea.
For a more comprehensive list of poisonous plants and toxic substances, please visit www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/17-common-poisonous-plants.aspx or visit www.petpoisonhelpline.com

image01

 

Poisonous foods to avoid:

  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Avocado
  • Chocolate (all forms)
  • Coffee (all forms)
  • Fatty foods
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Moldy or spoiled foods
  • Onions, onion powder
  • Raisins and grapes
  • Salt
  • Yeast dough
  • Garlic
  • Products sweetened with xylitol


Urban environmental hazards:

  • Outdoor plants and bulbs
  • Blue-green algae in ponds
  • Swimming-pool treatment supplies
  • Compost piles fertilizers
  • Fly baits containing methomyl
  • Slug and snail baits containing metaldehyde
  • Antifreeze
  • Liquid potpourri
  • Ice melting products
  • Rat and mouse bait
  • Silica gel packs

Medication:

 

Common human medications that can be potentially lethal to pets – even in small doses – include:

  • Pain killers
  • Cold medications
  • Anti-cancer drugs
  • Antidepressants
  • Vitamins
  • Diet pills

Holiday Hazards:

  • Christmas tree water (may contain fertilizers and bacteria, which can cause upset stomach)
  • Electrical cords
  • Ribbons and tinsel (can become lodged in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction – most often occurs with kittens)
  • Batteries
  • Glass ornaments

Consider having a poison safety kit that includes: •Fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide 3% (USP)

  • Can of soft dog or cat food, as appropriate
  • Turkey baster or large bulb syringe to administer hydrogen peroxide
  • Saline eye solution to flush out eye contaminants
  • Artificial tear gel to lubricate eyes after flushing
  • Mild grease-cutting dishwashing liquid to wash the animal after skin contamination
  • Rubber gloves
  • Tweezers to remove stingers
  • Muzzle (an excited pet may harm you)
  • Pet carrier
  • IF YOU SUSPECT YOUR PET HAS INGESTED A POISONOUS OR TOXIC SUBSTANCE FOLLOW THESE

EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS:
•Remove your pet from the area
•Check to make sure your pet is safe: breathing and acting normally
•Do NOT give any home antidotes
•Do NOT induce vomiting without consulting a Vet or Pet Poison helpline
•Call Pet Poison helpline @ 800-213-6680
•If Veterinary attention is necessary, contact us immediately @ 250-926-0006